Saturday, September 08, 2007

Countdown to Take-Off

I'm just winding down my last day in India...hooray! I didn't do too much with my day - browsed around some of the high-end shops but didn't find anything to buy. I'm now convinced that the big manufacturers (Levis, Benetton etc.) have different product lines for this side of the world. Not only are the sizes ridiculously small, but everything is all "tarted up" like the rest of the clothes here. I can't imagine that Benetton's entire line at home would consist of sequined tops and t-shirts with bizarre slogans painted in silver and gold.

Earlier this evening, I wanted to make arrangements for a cab to the airport for tomorrow morning, so made enquiries at reception of my hotel. The conversation went something like this:

Heidi: I'm leaving in the morning and I need a taxi to the airport. Do I have to book one or can I find one on the street in the morning?
Reception: International airport?
H: Yes
R: It's possible.
H: Do I have to book one or can I just find one on the street?
R: What time?
H: 9:00 AM
R: It's possible.
H: Do I have to book one or can I just find one of the street?
R: Okay, you book.
H: How do I book it?
R: You have to do it.
H: How do I do it? Do I call someone or go to a travel agent?
R: 350.
H: How do I book the taxi?
R: It's possible.
H: How?
R: 350.
H: I asked if I had to book a taxi and you told me that I had to do it. How do I do it?
R: I'll do it.
H: You can book it for me?
R: What time?
H: 9:00 AM. Will you book it for me?
R: 350.
H: Will you book it?
R: (head bobble)

The good news is that the train station is only about a kilometre from the hotel so if the taxi doesn't get book, I can likely find one there. The head bobble, for anyone who hasn't been to the subcontinent, is a distinctly Indian thing. They do it in Nepal as well, but it's much more pronounced here. I rather like it - it's not like a nod or a shake, but a side-to-side waggle of the head. It can mean many things, I think, but usually means "okay", "yes" or "thank-you" as we use the word. They don't say thank you over here, and the Hindi/Nepali word for it (danyabad) was invented for westerners who seem to need to say it so much. If they genuinely want to thank someone, it is more a show of respect and they use different words and gestures. The head bobble will be used to say "thanks" for small things like receiving directions or having your food delivered by the waiter. And yes, I find myself bobbling from time to time - I'm sure it will go away once I'm away from the Indian influence.

One more story about a very positive experience I had in India two days ago. I ran into this guy name Robert from California in the street and we started chatting because we both recognized each other from Kathmandu. In fact, I had met a girl from Europe on the plane to Pokhara for my Mustang trek in June and she told me all about this guy Robert that she had met in Kathmandu. She suggested that I should try to find him in Kathmandu as he would be a good guy to hang out with. He is older than most travelers I've met and I guess she thought we'd be a good match, but I wasn't going to walk the streets of Kathmandu asking every older western gentleman if he was Robert. He is making films over here for some children's aid organization but I'm not sure which one. He has done movies about AIDS orphans in Africa and is looking at drug abuse among other things in India and Nepal.

Anyway, when we met, he was on his way to have dinner with a couple from Italy so I went with him. The Italian guy (Vincenzo?) is a psychologist and does all kinds of work all over the world. He is about to start working on a project in Rwanda, teaching the psychology community there how to treat trauma victims from the genocide. His wife is a yoga instructor, originally from the US but living in Italy for 40 years. They spend part of their year in Varanasi where they have a house, but travel all over the world for their jobs and pleasure. They actually spend a lot of time in Toronto and love Canada.

Over the course of the meal, I learned that Robert is planning on doing a movie in Uganda about the children who are forced to join the rebel armies. In addition, he and Vincenzo are going to talk about making another movie about the work he's doing in Rwanda. It was just so inspiring to sit with these people and listen to their stories. It's such a treat to meet other travelers who are older and more professional and who just have so much to say. Their lives are just so rich and full of good works. I only met them for a few hours, but it was definitely the best few hours I spent in India.

Anyway...I must run. The internet cafe is filling up with smoke, which is never a good sign. This time tomorrow I'll be sitting at my favourite Sunday night spot in Kathmandu with a Canadian friend, Chris, listening to some great live music. 18 hours to lift-off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home